Britney...why don't you do something!
Have you heard about the knocked-up pop queen?
Too bad for her it's a belly-up pop scene
That was stuff of the 90s, but fame's decreased
Did you even know BSB had a new CD released?
So 1,2 Step with me 10 years into the future my friends
Into hiphop (read: pop) culture, new means, same ends
They've got 99 Problems and a Dilemma, so I hear, but we've got
To rid ourselves of this crap and Drop it Like it's not-so-hot.
The recent influx of crappy music's a definite sin
And who the hell are these Ying Yang Twins?!
So here's my advice to culture that I'll hammer:
Get out of the limelight, and go work on your grammar.
Upon hearing the news of Britney Spears' pregancy, confirmed on her website, I was just thinking that really, nobody cares. No one cares because the kids are too busy listening to the new pop crap of today, hidden under the guise of what they call "hip hop," although for those of you who remember what it was actually about ten-fifteen years ago, hip hop today, is really just the new pop.
So I was a big fan of the "new" alternative and grunge music scene of the 90s, Nirvana, Green Day (they were different back then, I swear), Soundgarden, some Rage Against the Machine, you know. Plus I had a bit of affection for hip hop and R&B of the 90s, Biggie, some Tupac, even some Public Enemy, plus the softer R&B side of Boyz II Men (always be my boys) and early Aaliyah. But as music grew and changed (and so did I), I fell out of love with this hip hop side of things.
I have a feeling it was around the time Will Smith released his first post-Fresh Prince CD. And let me tell you, pop culture has declined post-Willennium. Back in the 90s pop was sweet and simple, consisting of Britney and the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls and Take That. Even what's them face that eventually split off into Justin Timberlake. What were they called? The Justin Group? I can't even remember. But pop was catchy, annoying, sweet, and a huge money generator. But at least they sang about stuff that kids liked: crushes, parties, puppy love, your basic bubblegum pop stuff. And while the oh-so-irritating sounds of pop permeated the airwaves of the now-dead AM640 and KISS92.5, there was something nice about it. It was simple. Just...simple.
Enter the new millennium. So around the time of Getting Jiggy Wit It, and perhaps when Puffy Daddy changed his name, the world seemed to change along with it. Maybe it was because N Sync (now I remember the name) broke up, or because the BSBoys got married, but whatever it was, when pop went out, it seemed like hip hop would take over the pop culture scene. And it did. With amazing force. We suddenly had a plethora of people who couldn't spell their own names, like Ludacris and Mystikal, "rapping" about goodness knows what. A little sucky because I think they were mostly talking about sex and drugs (remember Afro Man?) but tolerable.
And then the new age hit. With idiots like 50 Cent (Get Rich or Die Trying? What the hell?) and Nelly (come on, all his songs sound the same) dominating the scene of just yesterday and unfortunately today, kids have nothing useful to listen to. They have to sit and "enjoy" songs about the importance of casual sex (In Da Club and Candy Shop, right...no one's going into those places), drugs (Purple Hills) and the new addition: how to make money.
That's it. They're all about the making money. There's nothing to pop music anymore except singing/rapping/rhyming about making money. It's pathetic. Where are the good old days? Honestly, I'd rather if Britney came out of the wall and just Hit Us, Baby, One More Time. Britney -- why don't you Do Something about today's pop culture!
So my plan is to just Sit Up In My Room and wait it out. Hip Hop will make its exit, and the new annoying thing will come up. Till then, I'll sit with my old CD's and new mp3's and chill to the sounds of the good old days and let that old music Hypnotize me. I'll just wait. After all, the Sky's the Limit.


1 Comments:
you forgot that in the beginning... there was AM680. before it became that ever-permeating all news station and ruined my life for a few weeks before AM640 stepped up and took over.
but it's a lost fight sarah. you could probably have taken out the clever rhymes and references to old songs and signed my name on the bottom of that post, but dammit, as i've been telling people in recent years, society has just gotten worse and worse.
now, excuse me, i'm off, as the-artist-formerly-known-as-prince once said, i'm off "to party like it's 1999!"
Post a Comment
<< Home