Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Is that a feather from my pillow?

Yesterday was our last day in that joint
And Girls Nite Out too but sorry to disappoint
No pillow fights or panties: we were fully clothed
The tame kind that historically guys have loathed
But hey whatever, that's just who we are
And from these first steps we won't stray too far
Cause while this is a beginning, there's certainly not an end
So we'll step out and smile and our broken dreams mend.

Sorry Ray. We didn't have any pillow fights.

It took a little will power but we did it. Emily and I said goodbye to our home-of-two-years last night around 11 pm. We had spent the afternoon cleaning it and let me tell you, it was positively shining. The mass of grey-brown crust at the door, the scum in the bathtub, the red mildew in the toilet, the billions of hair clumps strewn around the apartment -- all gone. All washed away as easy as they had accumulated. And this place, which has been our refuge, our study, our design workshop, our hangout, for the last two years, will become someone else's home within the next few days. It was sad. And it was tough to leave, but I'm proud of the way we did it. We took a moment at the door, looked our last, and turned off the light. Silently, we stepped outside, shut the door, and turned the key for what is likely to be the last time (well, for Em at least...). But no one cried, because I think we're both excited as to what's next for us. In less than a week, Em will be starting her 16 month stint at MDR. I'll be working at the hospital, and then back to school, and ready for graduation. And 16 months from now, we'll both be at exciting points in our lives.


So let me back up a bit. There had been some celebrating beforehand, since it was Girls Night Out sans boyfriends. The plan originally was to grab dinner, hit a lounge, play cranium, and maybe some Futures after that. Unfortunately for us, the plan was foiled by the rain and we ended up eating dinner at the Friendly Thai on Yonge, and chasing that down with the traditional coffee. It was nice. Kind of a grown up way to end a grown up type of year.

And it reminded me of how much I'll miss these days. Because the four of us won't be able to go out any time we want next year. That'll involve planning and scheduling...grown up stuff. And that got me thinking that this is the last time it'll be like that. Next year, Em will be missing...and the following year, the rest of us will...and after that...who knows.

Anyways, this was not meant to be another sappy post, so I think I'll end it here and resume tomorrow when I can talk about the fun I've been having at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home