Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My legs are fried. Like chicken. And my social life.

It's hard to tell with some certainty
If they can see that I'm fading so vividly
But now I'll share my heart quite patently
In hopes of change for the better

A few thoughts today, on this very special of days when I've blogged on two consecutive days for the first time, in, oh, well, a long time.

Firstly, I think one of the best things about med school is definitely the amount of time I have on my hands these days. I think maybe I exaggerate about it a lot. I mean, while I do have a lot of time to do things like go to the gym, release my inner rock star in OG, try to get to some concerts and the like (though I missed an Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton concert on last Sunday because of a Monday exam), I'm still pretty busy with school and studying. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Aaaaaanyways, I first started jogging back in first year (oh so long ago), when I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning to do it, and I kind of just puttered along, with no ambition, no drive, with my per km times all over the map (but most certainly not decreasing. For the next four years it was much of the same. And then the year off of school, well, my physical activity was definitely not a winner that year. Enter 2007, and I start up again, only now it's running, it's not jogging, and now I have a goal. Let me tell you, it's been awesome. I love going to the gym, working out is awesome, and I've got a great goal: I'm going to be running the Sporting Life 10K in May (hoping to finish in 55 mins), and the training is going great. I'm up to 6 km semi comfortably, and going to the gym is definitely a highlight of my day. Plus, the Peginator joins me at the gym several days a week, so it's been a good way for us to get together regularly.

So that's good, and I'm feeling better about myself physically, probably...better than I ever have (EVER), and it's really great. I have to say, I'm a little jealous because John and Mark and Wayne were able to run that half marathon last year with minimal training (we can't all be like them, I guess), but I'm comfortable with my goal, and looking forward to it. If anyone is interested in joining me on the run...let me know :)

As for my social life, well this whole med school thing has got me thinking (again). I've really ignored a lot of my classmates since September, choosing to get close to only one or two or three of them, and rarely going out socially for group events. Case in point: post December exams, three of us plus one roommate at T's apartment drinking Sangria, jello shots, rum, and eating frozen shrimp with maraschino cherries (best not to ask, cause I don't know either). And you know, there were tonnes of excuses: I have so many other people I need to keep up with (and I'm already bad at that), I've got no time (between friends, family, extracurriculars), and everyone sucks anyways.

So, I'm trying hard to turn it around. Last week I went to my first evening social event, a poker tournament. Did okay, but did even better in that I met some classmates I didn't know, got to hang out with some people that I normally don't talk to, and you know, it was great. So I think I'm going to turn it around, or at least that's the plan.

Yeah, that's the plan. Time to take control, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home