Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Stop being ungrateful!

That muse is the light and again the real pitfall
For simply its voice oft times leaves me in awe
But truly that feeling is frightful and coveted
For it digs in its nails and scrapes me full raw

Couple of random thoughts as I procrastinate today -- because I really should be working but you know, it's hard to take school seriously. I mean, seriously. People need to stop flattering themselves. It really doesn't take a genius to memorize few things. And it doesn't make you smart just because you can "understand" when someone is explaining a process to you. If it's not conceptual, and it doesn't involve problem solving, then it's just facts, and all you have to do is process in your tiny little brain and then go home and memorize. Really, it's not that bad. Sheesh. Yes, it's a lot of material, but it's not freaking hard, so get over it and stop complaining and anyways, all of you ingrates wanted to be here in the first frigging place, didn't you. I AM TIRED OF HEARING EVERYONE COMPLAIN THAT THEY HATE MED SCHOOL BECAUSE THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO WOULD JUST ABOUT DIE TO BE IN OUR SHOES. So f*** you and your lack of appreciation.

Okay now I'm all riled up. I was planning to blog about my top two albums of 2007 but I think that can wait.

Everyone needs to just turn off their egos for a sec. Just one sec, please. Everyone needs to take a look around and see how lucky they are and stop complaining about how much they hate this or they hate that. I am reminded of a post a couple of years ago on Andrew Wang's blog -- it's funny, but it's been about two years, and I'm not sure his blog is even in existence anymore, but you know, he said something that really resonated with me and I've carried around with me every since. He said something to the effect that he never hears anyone throw around the word "love" anymore, but the world "hate" is used without frugality -- I hate this, I hate that, blah blah blah. Totally agree, and since that post, I've tried to cut down on my own use of that hated word.

So. Speaking from the point of view of someone who almost had their dreams dashed and almost spent their life in a career that would have royally sucked, I just want to be on record as having said that I don't want to hear anyone who is doing what they want to be doing say that they hate it. It's disrespectful to people around them, it's disrespectful to the people who would love to be in their shoes, and it's disrespectful to themselves. I get that maybe things and attitudes change, and someone may no longer want what they thought they want, and that is totally fine. But where it stops being fine is when the complaining and ungratefulness starts and nothing is done to right the wrongs. You don't want it anymore? Then give it up, and find something that makes you happy, because there are tonnes of people who'd love to be in your shoes right now.

Which is not to say that I'm encouraging "giving up" when things get tough, no that's not it at all. I'm talking about keeping some sort of childish sense of awe when you continue to fight and struggle through.

Okay that's it, I have to get to work. I apologize for my anger, but I'm tired of putting up with all of that. I'm taking a stand.

And I have to get back to work on my short stories and ignore my schoolwork for a little longer anyways.

Next blog...top albums of 2007. I promise. With no anger included.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home