Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My (late) top picks for 2007 albums

'Twas another sad year of hip hop infestation
With no notable nod to a good pop manifestation

Yet still, it is something, they're good entrepreneurs

But it says little much for music in the future


Okay, this is going to be a nice short and sweet post because I meant to mention my top albums of 2007 back in early early 2008 when it actually mattered. Now I'm doing it just because I promised I would in my last post, and if I didn't, that would make me a liar. Which I am not. I had planned to write full reviews for them, too...but I've since lost interest. A lot has been going on in my life since early January, and I'll get to them on the blog at some point, and at any rate, it seems to make things like this seem less important. More important in an existential sort of way in terms of the utility of music and stuff, but less important in terms of blogging about my favourite albums. So...top three picks.

Number 3:
METRIC - Grow Up and Blow Away

Metric is solid, as always. Throwing out some good borderline indie rock blended with some catchy hooks and an entrepreneurial pop sensibility. To be completely fair, though, this album is definitely not as great as the previous, and maybe my adding them to my top three list is as much my loyalty to Metric, as it is my kudos to Emily Haines, since I didn't discover her solo album until this year (which was actually released in 2006) so unfortunately couldn't go on this year's list. Oh...the technicalities.

Favourite tracks: Hardwire, Soft Rock Star.


Number 2:
THE HONORARY TITLE - Scream and Light Up the Sky

Okay, the lead singer of The Honorary Title has the most beautiful voice I've heard in rock music (with the lone exception being the lead singer of Muse -- I swear that guy's had opera training). In fact, I sometimes mix the voices up. Anyways, the album is pretty good, and in all honesty, maybe it shouldn't have even made my top three, because while the tracks are good, they're not ground-breaking. But I figured the guys deserved kudos for (1) their performability (that VOICE!) and (2) their ability to land a spot on One Tree Hill. Seriously. Cool.
Favourite tracks: Thin Layer, Only One Week, Radiate, Stay Away


Number 1:
THE SHINS - Wincing the Night Away

Now these guys know what a melody is. And they know how to bend it just so, just a little, to be surprising and new and not at all what pop music is. And that's what I love about them. Their harmonies are somewhat unconventional, their instrumentation is synthy and changes from song to song, and their melodies just catch you every time. And that's what beat The Honorary Title. As much as I love the Title, The Shins consistently deliver something completely different and completely unique and at least mostly unexpected.

Favourite tracks:
Phantom Limb, Red Rabbits, Australia


Okay, glad that that's over. I actually started this post a long time ago...terrible. Need to start REALLY blogging again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home