Bago, the Kep Lodge dog
Like surrogate owners, everywhere they follow
And strange, cause they just don't belong to us
Their scratching at doors, it leaves me quite hollow
But petting them? Well, I don't make such a fuss
KEP, CAMBODIA
June 15, 2008
I'm up early this morning blogging, and I thought I'd dedicate a quick post to the dogs of Kep. Kep Lodge (not my guesthouse, which is Seaside) has two dogs: Bago and Tiger. Seaside has one: Mama. These dogs follow us everywhere. Bago and Tiger haven't been home in who knows how long because they just spend all their time at Seaside hanging out with CIHers. They follow us to restaurants, into the office, on walks, everywhere. They just like having company.
And last night, coming back from dinner, Bago followed TH and I up to our second floor room. We had to quickly scoot into the room to avoid having him follow us in. And when we closed the door, all we could hear from the open door was the whimpering of the dog. It was so sad and I felt so bad.
I've actually really warmed up to the dogs, and I like them quite a lot. And...anyone who knows my animal history knows that I don't like animals. I think they're dirty. And while I do like the dogs, I still haven't touched them or petted them -- and I doubt it will ever get to that.
But this morning I got up really early, and when I went down to the office, Bago was asleep outside A's door and he followed me into the office, looking for some love. He's been wandering in and out of the office for the last two hours I've been here.
So, here's a picture, just because while I still won't touch the dog, I still do kind of like Bago. He's stretching out next to me in this one.
LW: this post is for you. I think you're making me soft on the dogs. You'd go nuts here -- dogs EVERYWHERE.


3 Comments:
Yea for dogs. No we won't get any for home. Rent-a-dog is the best compromise.
He's been following you around this whole time waiting for you to pet him.
That dog is my messenger, the equivalent of me poking you in the shoulder over and over again until it drives you crazy.
You WILL succumb to its pestering power
hahaha, probably not :)
Post a Comment
<< Home