Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

No Memory Left

I age and age and just get worse
And Time my hippocampus cursed
Alas! I'm not the only one --
My comp has losing memory fun!

I'm mad at thesis because it's finally got on my nerves. Like actually. Possibly because I've actually started to work earnestly on it, but that, of course, is besides the point. The point it, it's not cooperating.

So I had spent last semester (or a random hour or two last semester) developing this Matlab script that is supposed to spit out wavelet transforms of my hippocampal voltage data...fine, the script looks good, I think it works. Got tweaked a little after meeting with my grad student, but I was all ready to just run all my data through it and bang! my thesis would be mostly done.

And then, the complication. Turns out my computer can't run my script on my data because, my data being huge (like...2X700000 matrix), it amounts to 700,000 multiplied by 50 calculations. Right, so I just let it run overnight right?

Wrong, because then after that it needs to be displayed, and unfortunately, my computer can't handle it and I run out of memory every time.

So I went to the BA comp lab in hopes of just running the last couple lines of code to display my wavelet transform...and these run out of memory too, so I'm not having any luck. Until one of them (for no reason) works...and then when I try to save the .fig file...it craps out on me.

Matlab is like an old woman...forgetful, only cooperating when it wants to, and give cryptic messages and expects you to understand exactly what it's saying to fix the problem.

Anyways...I hate my thesis.

On the flip side, I'm taking an English course as my humanities elective, and it's on The Canadian Short Story. Good so far, enjoying it, except that the stupid text was ultra expensive. 50 bucks for a soft cover novel type book. Whatever. Silver lining.

1 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 7:58 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Everytime I begin working on thesis, I make sure I am in a patient mood. Because otherwise, neither me nor my computer will make it through the night.

I've had more "no more virtual memory" comments than I care to remember. Blegh =/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home