Book Review: The Mystic Masseur
Its title seemed exotic and sensual
But the book led only to boredom eventual
Book: The Mystic Masseur, by V.S. Naipaul
*1/2 (out of five stars)
This is quite possibly the most boring book in the history of ever. Trust me. I've started many a boring book, but let me tell you, this one takes the cake. The author is a Nobel laureate for literature, and that's what drew me to the book but believe me when I say that every comment on the back cover of the book is a LIE. It's a bad, bad book.
I don't even want to do a synopsis because it might put you to sleep. But...whatever...so it's about this guy Ganesh who lives in Trinidad who fails as a schoolteacher, masseur, and husband, but for some reason unbeknowst to me, he somehow scores a "career" as a mystic, then writer, then politician. There are apparently some funny antics along his journey, but I failed to find anything about this book funny since there's really nothing humourous about trying to force your way through a boring book. Anyways, the book is about his career.
Writing sucked. All dialogue was presented in creole, and the book started out with a guy who sets out to tell the story of Ganesh. What this guy has to do with the actual story beats me...because he played a role which would have been cut out of any tv pilot.
Sucky book + sucky author + sucky writing + boring story = 1.5 stars.
I would have given it one star, but the cover looked nice. And apparently there's been a "major motion picture" made on this book, so at least someone was able to find a plot. It wasn't me, let me tell you.
Labels: Books


3 Comments:
did u get around to reading Picture of Dorian Gray yet?? ..itching to know what u thought bout it heh
Saigin, I just started yesterday :)
So far, it's passing quickly I like it a lot. Should have a review in the next couple days. Can't put it down!
Most boring book ever? Doubtful, did you try reading that book that Collins recommended in first year? Why you don't fall through the floor? Holy son of Hell that was a piece of crap.
I finished Life of Pi about a week ago, but my blogging has slowed down. I'll get to it and my next book review soon. You're a trooper Sarah!
Post a Comment
<< Home