Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Random thinks for today

Not much of a theme today
I'd rather not link what I'll say

Today being Mother's Day, my family decided it would be a nice thing if we did something all together. In my family, we don't really do the gift thing, I'm not sure why, but that's just how it is. No birthday, Mother's/Father's Day, anniversary gifts, nothing like that. Christmas is just about the only time we consistently give each other presents. So in a style typical to my family, we decided that our Mother's day thing would be to do the Meagan's Walk for Sick Kids Hospital downtown. It was a short 5K walk from Ontario Place up to Sick Kids and it was to raise money for the hospital. We brought my maternal grandmother along for the walk. It was really nice. The really neat thing was that the end of the walk was signalled by every walk-a-thoner holding hands in a giant ring encircling the hospital to signify giving every child in the hospital a giant hug. The event seemed like a huge success and hopefully it raised a tonne of money for the cause.

I wanted to walk around afterwards and hit up a bunch of used book stores (because that's how I love to spend my Saturdays) but my Dad vetoed the plan citing my grandmother as the reason. I'm really excited about having a lot of time to read again (my favourite thing about the summer) and even more excited because Andy and Dave will be swapping books with me (plus some good recommendations), and John has promised to start reading again, and is currently reading Life of Pi.

Speaking of which...if you haven't read Life of Pi, do so. A lot of people find the first third a little boring because it sort of goes into the protagnist's philosophy on modern religion, but after that the story picks up and is truly a gem.

And if anyone has any good suggestions, let me know. I'm always looking for new books to read. Anyways, The Hunt for Red October is calling, and it's a nice day outside, so I'm going out to the backyard to read some...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home