Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

A Night of Baseball

Rounding the bases he glances to his right
To check at the outfielder's ball-line-of-sight
Race it to base and view's blocked by the sun
Then one last big spurt -- we call that a home run!

So yes, that's an imaginary little situation there in the rhyme seeing as the Jays failed me last night (the Twins having helped out China quite a bit). We went to the baseball game last night because John had the Twins' pitcher (Santana) in his lineup for the fantasy baseball thing and just had to see him play. And he cheered for the away team the entire time. How annoying.

But all in all it was pretty fun. I took the time to ask questions and learn a little bit about the game and well, as much as I generally hate baseball, I do enjoy a good game if I'm in the stands. I just can't imagine watching it on tv. But anyways...

In learning about the game, I came across something that I found really disappointing. You know how you've got a single, or a double, or even a triple? Well, I asked what you call it if the ball is hit to the outfield and stays in the field, and the runner makes it all the way around the diamond. Apparently the answer is an "in the field home run." Which I found extremely disappointing because when I hear "home run" it makes me think, you know, ball hit out of the park. So I decided that a new term needed to be invented and that's where all of you come in. I need to you to help me disseminate the term for an in the field home run: "zoba." Please use it at every opportunity. Your cooperation is appreciated. Thank you, and good day.

3 Comments:

At May 29, 2005 1:23 AM, Blogger abelianalien said...

I'll disseminate your face!

'in the field home run' is a wonderfully succinct term...carry on the tradition! suppress the insurgents! down with the revolution! etc.

hi sarah.

 
At May 29, 2005 5:12 PM, Blogger tarsaye said...

whatever...

 
At May 30, 2005 12:02 AM, Blogger Graymond said...

A ZOBA???

...
seriously...

zero win for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home