Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ants in his pants

It's getting to be a little annoying
And so all my patience I am employing
But I think that it's up, it's all but dispersed
So my answers are curt and my lips are pursed

KEP, CAMBODIA

June 24, 2008


Again, another slow day yesterday. Pretty much the same thing as the previous day...however, I do have a story to share. Again :)

So, Doc V has been getting a little on my nerves recently, just because he's always hanging around, and I feel like I need some time away from him -- and he's always looking for us to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, walks, etc. He's a nice old man, but I just need to get away a little.

He's a bit of a cheapass, which is fine (because, let's face it, I am too), but it gets a little irritating when that's all someone talks about. Anyways, that's not the purpose of this post...to complain about him. The purpose of this post is to tell a story about him.

He's a little obsessed with muesli in the morning, so Doc R brought him a box back from Phnom Penh so that he wouldn't have to pay the $2 that it costs to get muesli in the restaurant every morning. He started the box the previous day, but apparently didn't seal the cereal very well and when he opened the box to eat it, it was filled with ants.

He insisted on eating it anyways. (The background being that these ants are nasty and get into everything and crawl everywhere). He then started trying to justify it to everyone...blah blah blah, protein protein protein.

And then (the crowner): "Well Asians will eat anything that's on four legs except for a table."

TH was there, sitting right beside him, ants crawling all over her and her food, as he unleashed his racist comment.

Boo, Doc. Boo. Way to be, in an Asian country.

Funny how racism can be used as justification for just about anything.

At least lunch was good. At the Khmer place: grilled catfish, pickled cucumber with bean sprouts, and a yummy vegetable soup.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2008 10:26 AM, Blogger Em said...

...were these ants still moving when he ate them?!!!!!!!

I had a single spider in my milk and I flipped out.

 
At June 25, 2008 10:15 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

um, ewwww.

it would be funny if he actually had ants in his pants. maybe that is why he enjoys the nakedness so much as well. hahaha.

 
At June 27, 2008 9:32 PM, Blogger Ye said...

His comment is actually a common Chinese saying .... especially to describe Cantonese people .... Dunno if he has traveled a lot and meant it as a joke, but clearly he made a bad assumption that you would get it ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home