Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Getting ready fo SEA

A bit of excitement mixed in with some worry
While packing and studying, all in a hurry
So much to be done, of action a flurry --
My reasons for going becoming but blurry

So, about twelve hours off of a week before I leave for my South East Asia trip. I've never been away from home (3 months) for so long, so that in itself if definitely going to be a challenge. Not to mention the pain in the ass that ethics is causing me -- context: write, rewrite, rewrite, redo protocol, rewrite, rewrite, wait -- and trying to fit all of this in while attempting to pass my courses (the failure of which might not be that great an idea) is leaving me a little stressed out.

While I'm looking forward to the trip, I am somewhat apprehensive about it: I'll be in an area that only got access to electricity about 8 months ago, rendering it somewhat sporadic, unsurprisingly. Not to mention the fact that I'm carrying everything on my back, and trying to concoct a list of all the things I might need for three months in a place I've never been. Add to that a dash of home-, family-, and friend-sickness, all within the context of not knowing whether my research is going to get approval (and heaven forbid I end up researching something that I really don't like for 10 weeks); well, it's left me a little breathless. And making it difficult to study for my exams.

I had my first exam on Friday; it was a clinical oral exam -- went pretty well. Another one tomorrow (for my Determinants of Community Health -- or DOCH -- class, about which I wrote a clever line on Facebook saying that I hate Doing Only Crappy Homework...haha, so clever), and my final Brain and Behaviour exam on Friday. So much to do...so little time...

Anyways, since I wasn't sure if I'd be able to blog again before I actually go on the trip (and I'll do my darndest to blog while there), I figured I'd outline my trip since I've been getting a lot of questions about where I'll be going.


(1) Phnom Penh: So that's the map. I arrive in Phnom Penh via Seoul next Tuesday from where I'll be spending the next 10 weeks in Kep, on the southern Coast

(2) Kep: 10 weeks in this tiny rural town, which used to be a beach resort for the French.

(3) Sihanoukville: Another beach town, though much more touristy and famous than Kep. This will probably end up being a weekend trip or something. Then back to Kep.

(4) Siem Riep: once my research is finished, I'm hoping to spend some time in Phnom Penh, and then, of course, in Siem Riep, to see the famous Angkor Wat.

(5) Bangkok, Thailand

(6) Vientiane, Laos: Capital city. Heard it's not all that exciting, but we'll be passing through, and will spend some time in Vang Vieng, a town with a river that runs through it.

(7) Luang Prabang, Laos: lots of temples, etc.

(8) Phonsavan, Laos: ancient runs of the "Plain of Jars;" no one knows where these came from or what they were used for. There's apparently a lot of war stuff here to, from undetonated bombs to military equipment, just lying around from the Vietnam war.

(9) Hanoi, Vietnam: the capital.

(10) Halong Bay, Vietnam: a place to see my favourite geological formation -- karsts!

(11) Hue, Vietnam: not sure what's here...royal tombs, I think...

(12) Hoi An, Vietnam: apparently good food. My fave.

(13) Nha Trang, Vietnam: lots of great diving here, which I'd love to do if I can get the chance. It's a famous beach town.

(14) Mui Ne Beach, Vietnam: apparently this is home to the world's most photographed sand dunes. Don't know what's so special, but will try to find out.

(15) Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam: a bit of a collision between colonial and semi-modern times, I think.

(16) Seoul, South Korea: a few days here before flying back to good True North. Will definitely be eating Korean BBQ. And maybe nothing else.

Anyways, I really don't know much about the places that I'll be visiting, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Plans are to NOT lose my camera this time, and will be blogging sporadically to document, just in case something happens.

Till then, trying to keep a cool head, breathe, be productive and PACK.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home