Sideways Perspectives and Other Observances

It's so all about just having adventures.

Friday, July 01, 2005

iPods are looking better each day

There once was a man named McDod
Who'd sing while down each road he trod
But wanting some more,
He went to the store,
And then bought himself an iPod.

Seems like everyone these days has an iPod (except maybe me and a two or three others). Every preteen kid, every tractor-driving, bean-picking farmer, every attitude-laden "large" lady on the bus. Everyone seems to have them. At first I thought the idea was good, but I figured it would never catch on for two reasons:

1. Who can afford it?
2. It's made by Apple.

But then came the iPod mini and shuffle, so that solved problem 1. And then, the nearly irrestistible accessories and sheer compatibility of the device seems to have solved problem 2. And that's what my blog is about today: the incredible accessories for iPod that make me want to run out and buy one right now, even if I have to take out a loan.

Firstly (my favourite), the Bluetooth headphones. For years I've been saying that what we need are cordless headphones for our walkmans, cd players, and now, mp3 players. And Bluetooth has stepped up to the plate to take Apple's pitch and suddenly we have this awesome device that plugs into your iPod and transmits to the wireless headphones on your ears. Incredible. I want.

Second, the All-In-One Car Solution. Now this is novel. It's a base that you slip your iPod into to allow it to charge...while simultaneously transmitting via FM frequencies to your car radio to allow for playing your stored music over your car's system. The frequency at which it transmits is also tunable. That's awesome. I drool.

Not only this, but you can dress up your member of the iPod family in all sorts of gear: coloured cases, sport covers, even waterproof cages. It's awesome.

Unfortunately, my mp3 player (128MB) is almost 3 years old and I paid about $300 plus tax for it because it was so new at the time...and having paid that much, and the fact that it's still working (though described as "obsolete" by the Philips website) makes me not want to run out and buy the iPod. *Sigh*, I'm going to have to wait till it dies on its own before I catch the iPod wave...

1 Comments:

At July 04, 2005 9:46 PM, Blogger chris said...

1) under certain conditions the sound quality of the following sucks:
- the ipod
- the ipod stock headphones
- the BT headphones
- the FM transmitter (ie the iTrip)

2) if you buy an apple laptop, they will give you a free ipod mini

3) i don't have an ipod. i bought one for my mom. and to ensure none of her sons stole it from her, we bought the hot pink mini and had it engraved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home